Our core mission is to preserve, manage and develop the principle that has laid the foundation for ICA’s successful journey for 100 years. We call this the ICA Idea. The combination of independent – and local – entrepreneurship with economies of scale has proved to be a winning concept.
The action plan is evaluated and discussed yearly by ICA-handlarnas Förbund’s management and ICA-handlarnas Förbund’s board of directors with the goal of always prioritising the right areas for corporate governance and the owner plan. For ICA Gruppen this plan includes the following main goals.
Advocate for a strong ICA Gruppen
ICA Gruppen is one of the Nordic region’s leading retail companies, with a clear strategy for profitable growth. As the majority owner, ICA-handlarnas Förbund stands behind the company’s financial and qualitative goals. These are designed to ensure that ICA Gruppen creates value for the shareholders, and they secure the company’s long-term direction based on the market conditions. ICA Gruppen’s board of directors has adopted the following long-term financial targets for the Group:
Priority areas 2018-2019:
• ICA shall be a leader in product supply and daily operations to strengthen its competitiveness.
• ICA shall increase digitalisation in all areas.
• To better meet evolving customer needs and preferences, ICA-handlarnas Förbund shall advocate for the prioritisation of diversity and sustainability issues within ICA Gruppen.
• ICA shall be a leader in sustainability and quality issues.
• Work for higher growth in the Swedish market through a higher pace of store establishment, development of the range, and be a market leader in online grocery sales.
• Develop the operations of ICA Bank, Apotek Hjärtat and ICA Real Estate for the purpose of improving the overall business and strengthening the core grocery retail business.
Ensure long-term majority ownership of ICA Gruppen
Clear majority ownership creates security for ICA Gruppen to make long-term decisions that benefit the company, its shareholders, and the ICA stores. ICA-handlarnas Förbund’s mission is to create financial opportunities for maintaining majority ownership of ICA Gruppen.
Ensure development of the ICA Idea
The ICA Idea forms the foundation of ICA’s structure and business model. ICA-handlarnas Förbund shall work to ensure that the ICA Idea and the culture it represents permeates the entire ICA Gruppen and that the ICA stores are given opportunities to develop with profitability.